We all know how unhealthy eating habits can lead to a number of health problems such as heart disease and diabetes. A healthy diet can help you lead a longer and healthier life. And lets not forget, those of us who stay healthy will save on costly medical bills that can be incurred from regular doctor visits. Some people claim that healthy eating will ensure that you are more rested when you wake up.
Unfortunately, too many American’s rely on fast food restaurants as their source of daily meals. Without a regular workout routine this could quickly lead to a number of health issues as well as an increase in weight. If you are like most people you might not have time to hit the gym. If this is the case it is important that you stick to a regular diet.
The below list might not be an ideal meal but it will surely suffice as a good snack when hungry.
Healthy Snack Foods
1. Hummus – liven up your vegetables with a simple side of Hummus. Dip carrots or other vegetables in it.
2. Non-fat yogurt
3. Dry cereal – Great to munch on and filling. Make sure you avoid varieties with high sugar.
4. Low fat granola – another filling snack. Consider mixing with non-fat yogurt.
5. Raw nuts such as almonds or peanuts are good snacks too. Avoid roasted or salted
6. Fruits – This encompasses a large variety such as apples, bananas, mango, pairs, oranges, etc.
7. Vegetables – some of my personal favorites include carrots, celery and BBQ-ed tomatoes.
8. Seeds – Seeds are often overlooked but make a great snack. Choose sunflower seeds, flax seeds or chia seeds among others.
When purchasing sandwich bread or other grains for dinner please keep in mind that whole-wheat products are much more healthy for you. For example, white rice can be replaced with brown rice, which is more healthy. Oatmeal can be replaced with Steel-cut oatmeal and flour or corn tortillas can be replaced with whole wheat tortillas , which is also more healthy. Be sure that all whole wheat products are labeled 100% whole wheat.